Thursday, August 4, 2011

Composting Bin August 4

I didn't add any more food or paper waste today. I found my compost plastic cover with holes punched into an old trashbag seems to be working well with keeping in the moisture and allowing air to come through. It's still really hot in the middle, but it will cool down. My compost leachate tea so far still needs more time to show positive results if any are to come. I'll try aerating it when I get back to college. I found a great place for a small five foot by five foot canopy called caravancanopy.com (877-9Canopy) I may not need them now, but I learned about them from the farmers' market at Union Square after asking where they got their nice five foot by five foot canopies. They said they were expensive, but that they were very sturdy. This will be perfect because when I get mine, I will be using it a lot.
     The worms at the bottom of my bin are liking the new home I made for them at the harvesting area of the bin. At least they're still alive. No sign of them in the bin though I am trying to make sure air gets to all the compost okay. I'm starting my plan to spend less time on that composting bin now. That means go only once each two weeks and so forth as stated on the part of my break even analysis that I did do. I printed out some new logs for my composting bin with re-used paper. More finished castings are at the bottom of the bin. I'll need to give them some time to air out and cure, but they will be ready soon. Not too much else to say otherwise. Just getting pictures and will work on my business plan now.

No comments:

Post a Comment