Wednesday, July 20, 2011

My July 18th Compost Work

I found a neighbor of Vicki Ford's house (One of the members of the Board of Trustees of the College). I asked if he would be interested in testing out his plants with some of my compost leachate. He was so now I'm going to test it on one of his hydrangeas for the remaining part of the summer and into fall. I will compare the growth of this hydrangea against the growth of several other hydrangeas he has.

I got my new book on methane digestion today. It will be a great introduction to the entire field. Meanwhile, I am reading about the types of methane digestion here.

Lately my compost has been getting dry so I decided to take a reused trashbag and lay it on top of my compost inside the compost bin. I'm worried it will create smells and prevent air from circulating in the compost pile- a problem even without some sort of plastic cover. At the same time though, my worms need to populate the bin and they cannot do it if the conditions are too dry. At this point, I'm just trying to get my bin with the few worms I have in there populated and ready to produce worm castings to make a steady revenue stream that can finally support this composting facility.

Tell me what you think of this for my compost label I'm making for my compost package.

"The compelling rich depth of this rich worm compost is the inspiration of our bold endeavor-to compost every last ounce of food waste at Sarah Lawrence College, in our community, and beyond. For countless centuries vineyards have long prized high-quality compost for the deep aroma, rich color, and superior flavor it brings to their wine. Vineyards of such world-renowned wines as _______, ________, ________ continue their timeless compost tradition. Eli's Gourmet Worm Compost, based off such time-tested traditions as these, now presents you the quality all homeowners, gardners, landscapers, and people alike deserve in our state-of-the art re-used plastic packaging"

No comments:

Post a Comment